1. Eat a well-balanced and healthy dietMaintaining a well-balanced nutrition plan throughout the winter months is essential to staying healthy. Make sure you incorporate a variety of fruit and vegetables into your diet. Do not forget to include plenty of lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates in each meal. A simple tip you can use is to try and make your plate as colourful as possible. This will ensure you provide your body with all the vitamins and minerals it needs. However, remember that this does not mean you can’t enjoy your Christmas sweets and mulled wine. This is also completely fine in the context of a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Products to help: – Head over to Waterstones or Amazon Food & Drink section for some great healthy cookbooks to help you along the way. – See also, our recent article with the list of our all-time favourite cookbooks here!
2. Make time for movementIt is understandable to feel less motivated to go out to the gym during winter. However, you should still schedule in some time for exercise you enjoy. For example, it could be a good idea to take up some online classes which you can do from the comfort of your own home. You can also go out for a gentle walk around your neighbourhood while listening to your favourite podcast or music playlist. Whatever you choose, make sure it is an activity you truly enjoy. This way, you are more likely to stick with it in the long-term. A daily workout regardless of the level of intensity is known to increase your energy and boost your mood.
3. Stay hydratedHydration is key to supporting your overall physical health. It can help prevent your skin from drying out during the colder months. In addition, it has been proven to help maintain your weight and body temperature. A simple tip you can try is to bring a reusable bottle with you everywhere. It may be beneficial to use a water bottle which monitors your level of hydration such as Hydracy. Products to help: – Grab yourself one of these water bottle’s to keep you on track here
4. Manage your stressIt is also normal to feel more stressed and anxious than usual around this time. With the holidays approaching, there is a lot more going on. This is why it is crucial to continue taking care of your mental health just as much as your physical one. For instance, you can try meditation, journaling or simply reading your favourite book. Ensure you set aside some time every day to do the activities that you find enjoyable. Remember that if you find that you are becoming overwhelmed, you can always ask for help. For example, the Samaritans have free help available via phone or email any time and day.
5. Get plenty of sleepFollowing a consistent sleep schedule will help you feel refreshed and ready to take on the next day. There are many benefits to getting a well-deserved rest every night. Firstly, sleep can improve your concentration and bring your energy levels up. Moreover, it is the perfect way to support your immune system and maintain a healthy weight. Some useful tips you can try for a better night of sleep include switching off all electronics one hour before bed, developing a bedtime routine and keeping the temperature in your bedroom low. Products to help: – The sleep monitors on the smartwatches are great to help track your sleep. Check out the Apple Watch which is great for this or the Fitbit for a slightly more affordable version – Also, these weighted sleep masks will help send you off
6. Wash your hands often and wellOne of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from infections is to ensure you remember to wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds. This is one of the most effective ways to kill germs which may spread from touching different surfaces. In situations where soap and water are not available, a hand sanitiser will do the trick.
7. Find an accountability partnerRemember that your friends may be feeling the same way as you. This means that you do not necessarily need to do all of this alone. You can help each other stay on track by going on daily walks together or sharing healthy recipes. This can give you extra motivation to do your daily movement and stick with your nutrition. Make sure you find someone who has the same values and goals as you. This way you can keep each other accountable. SUMMARY OF PRODUCTS TO GET YOU ON YOUR WAY: – Head over to Waterstones or Amazon Food & Drink section for some great healthy cookbooks to help you along the way. – See also, our recent article with the list of our all-time favourite cookbooks here! – Grab yourself a water bottle to keep you on track here – Hydracy water bottle – The sleep monitors on the smartwatches are great to help track your sleep. Check out the Apple Watch which is great for this or the Fitbit for a slightly more affordable version – Also, these weighted sleep masks will help send you off Subscribe to The Renaissaint’s Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1AWq1FOK8cZ9adUfePE3Gw
Check the video out: